Sunday, February 13, 2005

WARNING

There's a new scam being pulled on innocent motorists in Atlanta.

What happens is that when you stop for a red light, a young nude woman comes up and pretends to be washing your windshield.

While she is doing this, another person opens your back door and steals anything in the car.

They are very good at this.

They got me 7 times Friday and 5 times Saturday. I wasn't able to find them on Sunday.


Okay, my house isn't a Pottery Barn catalog, okay? My living room, even with their sofa in it, doesn't look like the picture I posted yesterday. That was the catalog picture. Here's my living room (picture taken this morning) as it now appears:


An improvement from the big empty room that it was before, I'll be the first to admit, but I've still got long way to go. I need a better ottoman and rug, but the next step is to install an appropriate window treatment.

I got an email from L. in New York last night. Regarding the Christo installation, she had this to say: "The gates, the gates the gates.

"I saw them in the gloaming. They were just up.

"Honestly, I was prepared to be swept away by the magic and majesty of the scale and texture. But, no. The color looked like a taxi cab or the "POLICE LINE" barriers. You almost can't help but think of these things. Or the bright orange of construction crews. It isn't really transforming into something romantic / wonderful / awesome. Instead, the neon color says "industrial" or "functional," and doesn't elevate either meaning or sense.

"Also the gates remind one of walking into a dressing room, the fabric flutters like a dressing room drape. Or a stage curtain. Obvious associations like - i am walking through along the path of my life, under the arbor of circumstance...etc, etc... are inescapable. And heavy-handed, frankly."

She went on to say that she was going to the Park this morning with a girlfriend to see The Gates up close and personal. We'll see whether or not her opinion changes after the visit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, the Evil L. checking in here....
I am still in NYC. Love it madly. Am plotting my return.
Meantime, I DID spend about an hour and a half walking through the gates early on this biting winter morning (what - did they host this in February to keep the crowds to a minimum?) Anyway, teh skaters were cruising around Wolman Rink at 8:30am, the horses were trotting by with their red-nosed fares, and the gates were fluttering like the latest, must-see construction project. Far better are the Tom Otterness bronzes on the islands on Broadway. Or Tim Hawkinson at the Whitney (his "trees" exhibit was one of the wittiest installations I've seen in years. The Best since Koon's Puppy).
Anyway. C. tells me that my current outline is good - for a master class, not the big-name lecture series. I have to re-do my approach if I want to try for that. So I am spending my afternoon seeing if I can pitch thisdifferently. It seems that my approach may be too practical for the school. What does this look like anyway - a place of learning?!
Ok. Don't hate me. Thanks, L.