Friday, December 24, 2004

Down Two

Click for details:

Well, that certainly didn't work out the way I had hoped! Instead of being a game ahead of my Mother and Brother-in-Law, and leaving Witch Doctor Jim behind in a cloud of dust, both my teams lost last night, and I suddenly find myself two games back behind the Witch Doctor and one back from Mom and the BiL.

On top of that, the first game was just plain ugly to watch. Marshall was a total disaster -- dropping passes, kicking into blocks, fumbling the football. It wasn't like Cincinnati played that much better, though. Marshall just played worse.

The Wyoming-UCLA game was a little more exciting. Once it became apparent late in the game that UCLA had no interest in trying to cover the spread but just wanted to hang on to the lead, I figured I already lost the bet so I may as well start cheering for Wyoming, the underdog. And they did score an upset victory with a late touchdown. At least that game was a little more exciting.

But the issue isn't that I'm losing, it's that I'm losing to my mother, my BiL, and a goddamn witch doctor! There's still plenty of games left, but all I can do now is hope for a Hawaii victory (by 3 1/2 points) over Alabama - Birmingham tonight, so that my mother doesn't start to run up a big lead on me, too.

So here it is, Christmas Eve, and all I can hope for is that my friggin' mother chokes on her UAB pick in the pool.

I love this game!

What's worse, though, is that I know my Mom reads this blog. According to blogger extraordinare Tony Pierce, author of the book How to Blog, you're never supposed to tell your mother that you maintain a blog. Tony even put an excerpt from his book up on his site, a Top 10 list of important things to know about blogging, and he stressed not to tell your family or your co-workers that you have a blog. Cuts down on the candidness, if you know what I mean. However, sad as it is to say, there's really nothing going on in my life that I have to hide from anybody. And as far as offending, the trash-talking in this blog is nothing compared to what's probably going on right now at the family holiday dinner up in Maine.

Besides, according to Raymi, another extraordinary blogger, Jamie's Mom reads his blog (so, there, I dropped three names in one blog entry and even plugged Tony Pierce's book).

The only search engine hit today was by an Italian who Googled the name "Alexive." As you may recall, Alexive Berchev was the winner of the Man of the Year contest (I previously had a couple of hits for third-place contestant Sean O'Flanders). The interesting thing was to see how many other blogs and web sites carried the same "Man of the Year" piece that I lifted from an email - I counted eight from the Italian's "Alexive" search.

But as I said, it's Christmas Eve, so happy holidays everyone!

No comments: