Saturday, November 06, 2004

Jeff

I made it most of the way through sesshin today - well, okay, some of the way. But a large part!

I got to the zendo a little before 8 a.m. and the first sitting period, which lasted until 9:30. From 9:30 to 10:30, we had a dharma talk, followed by brunch and cleaning until noon.

Sitting resumed at noon until 3:45, with only a 15-minute silent break. However, since the schedule called for non-sitting activities from 3:45 until 6:00, I skipped out for a while, planning to come back for the evening sit.

I stopped at Whole Foods first to get some groceries, and on the way home got a call from my old friend Jeff. This is Jeff:




Since I hadn't seen or talked to Jeff since something like May, I made a spot decision to blow off the evening service and catch up with him over dinner.

We had a lot of catching up to do. I showed him the new house, and over dinner at the Treehouse, told him everything that happened over the summer: getting back together with L. at the expense of a promising relationship with T., the Fourth-of-July trip to Sea Island, vacation in Budapest, time in New York, breaking up with L. again, the scuba diving and the karate (but you're familiar with all of this already). He told me about his trips to Russia and dates with beautiful Russian girls. We overtipped the waitress and called it an early evening.

No comments: