Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Karate

There was an article in the on-line New York Times today about the thermal baths in Budapest, and it featured the Gellert Hotel and Baths, where L. and I stayed last August. I tried to email the article to her, in part to break the silence that has developed between us again, but the email feature failed on two attempts, and I took it as a sign that it wasn't meant to be so quit trying.

Today was also my long-awaited and much-anticipated first karate class at Atlanta Kick. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I still enjoyed the class. The ratio of women to men was about 5:1 - nice, and not at all what I expected - and even higher for the kickboxing class as I left. I was probably the oldest person in there by 10 years, but still got a lot of smiles and "Hi's" from the women . . . The class did really make me aware of how much flexibility I've lost, though, but I still managed to work up a good sweat, got in some cardio workout and even learned a little karate. Next class is Saturday at noon.

But what, then, is a Zen student doing in karate class (besides ogling the women)? As the Bhuddha said, mind and body are one, and body practice is no different than mind practice. In the Chinese of the great Chan Masters, the word "shin" meant both mind and body - there was no differentiation. Taking responsibilty for our lives means taking responsibility for our bodies. As Daido Loori wrote, "Body practice means realizing the Way with the body as well as the mind."

Afterwords, back in the majestic and palatial confines of the Collier Hills abode, I channel surfed between Game 2 of the Boston-New York ALCS and the third and final presidential debate between Bush and Kerry. Flipping back and forth made me realize, though, how I was looking at both just as some sort of entertainment or diversion, but in reality one wasn't really all fun and games, one will still be remembered and talked about years from now, one matters to our lives. Yes, the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry is important . . .

No comments: