Saturday, September 04, 2004

Satori a Deux

Saturday morning, L. got up early to go about her usual Saturday morning chores. I had errands to run as well. Neither of us felt like going back to the zendo to attend the on-going sesshin. Our plans were for L. to pick up the cats later that day and bring them over, and for her and the kitties and I to spend the rest of the Labor Day weekend in our own private satori a deux.

Unfortunately, the cat rodeo didn't go much better for her than it did for me (Cf. blog entry of July 29 for a description of what kind of hell that could be). When Joshu, the timid one, hid under the bed and wouldn't come out even when prodded with a broom, L. lost the stomach for trying to catch him, which at that point felt more like tormenting him, and left them both at her place with full bowls of food and water.

However, I got a call from her early that afternoon. It seems that while she was out running her errands, she couldn't remember whether or not the other cat was still free, or if she had left it in the carrier case. I volunteered to go over to her apartment and check it out, for her peace of mind. She also said that she wasn't feeling well, and as long as I was going over there anyway, asked me to pick up some of her meds.

No problem. After buying fluorescent light bulbs, water-meter keys and groceries, I headed to L's apartment to find the cats both free, if somewhat skittish. Their food and water were both well stocked. I picked up the meds and later met L. back at my house.

She was definitely feeling under the weather, and so spent much of the late afternoon napping. I used the time to watch the Georgia Bulldogs beat Georgia Southern. Later that night, however, L. was feeling a little better, and we went to the movies ("We Don't Live Here Anymore" - not necessarily a film I would recommend) and had chicken panang at Surin's in Buckhead.

But why am I recounting these banal details of a rather typical and domestic day?, you may ask. My purpose is to merely continue to contrast the Labor Day with the Memorial Day weekend, when I spent each successive day more and more withdrawn, moping about the house alone and feeling that I'd lost my way. On Labor Day weekend, I was definitely happier, had company, and felt optimistic about life in general.

No comments: