Sunday, May 19, 2024

Council of the Million Visitation

 

For various reasons, I lived for a part of the summer of 1972 in a rented cabin at a lakeside vacation resort in northwestern New Jersey near the Delaware River. 

One night, while I was trying to sleep before work the next morning, a group of suburban vacationers were keeping me awake by talking loudly and playing the jukebox in the Community Center. 

Angry, I got up out of bed, dressed, and walked down to the Center, where I put a quarter of my own in the jukebox. I had previously noticed that the 45-rpm singles in the jukebox included John Lennon’s Mother, and the B-side was Yoko’s Why?, a 2:39-minute screaming-and-feedback freakout. 

I slipped in and out quietly and was back in bed before the song came on so no one suspected I was the culprit, but the song successfully broke up the party and everyone trundled back to their respective cabins before the song was over. 

I was finally able to sleep.

No comments: