Sunday, March 31, 2024

Day of Mourning


It's Day of Mourning in Angus MacLise's Universal Solar Calendar, but it's also the Christian holiday of Easter in the traditional Western calendar.

My spiritual path is more in the Zen Buddhist/Stoicism tradition (I call myself a "contemplative Stoic"), but I can respect the values and traditions that holidays like Easter present to my fellow countrypersons and neighbors. 

Back in 1999, the musician Andy Partridge of the English band XTC wrote a lovely baroque-pop song called Easter Theater that still comes to my mind every Easter holiday. The non-linear, slightly abstract lyrics skillfully evoke imagery of bunnies, candy, and chocolates, as well as Christian theology and the holiday's origins in vernal fertility rites, pagan rituals, and Norse mythology. It's deliberately all over the place, and a wonderfully crafted and composed song.

Happy Easter! 

No comments: