Saturday, August 05, 2023


Now in the 70th year of my existence, I'm old. I've seen a lot of things (I've seen some shit, man!). I've lived through Nixon and Watergate, Reagan and Contragate. I've seen Secretary of State Colin Powell whip out what he claimed was a vial full of anthrax at a UN Security Council meeting. I've seen space shuttles explode and I've seen Team USA beat the USSR in Olympic ice hockey. I've survived a global pandemic.

But I never thought I'd see a U.S. President federally indicted for treason.

These are historic times.  This is not normal.  I haven't commented on this too much because the news is already so saturated with coverage and there's far better commentary available, well, everywhere, but all of this shouldn't go with acknowledgement. 

Remember 1973, when newspapers across the country banned the comic strip Doonesbury because a character in one strip declared former Attorney General John Mitchel "guilty" of Watergate crimes before the trial was complete? Okay, he declared "guilty" with a little, um, exuberance, but still, so-called "cancel culture" was already alive and well way back then.  

Trump's trial hasn't even started yet, but I'm ready to declare him "Guilty! Guilty, guilty, guilty!" now. Hang the treacherous motherfucker.   

  

 

No comments: