Monday, March 06, 2023

Rabbit Holes and Wormholes

Astute readers will already have noticed that I've apparently lost my goddamned mind.

It probably happened back in 2020, during the covid lockdowns and the Georgia Floyd demonstrations. For solace, I started listening to vast discography of the French long-form folk-drone band, Natural Snow Buildings, and their side projects, Isengrind and TwinSisterMoon. Hours and hours of drone, while the world was falling apart outside. But I was deep down a rabbit hole, and I'm not sure my sanity has completely emerged.

Second rabbit hole: the unclassifiable (jazz? ambient? improvisational?) Australian trio, The Necks. Another vast discography, and to these guys, a 25-minute track is a short piece.

Third rabbit hole: so-called "Windmill," sprechgesang bands (Black Country New Road, Squid, Dry Cleaning, Yard Act, etc.).

Now I'm falling down rabbit holes on an almost daily basis. Phil Niblock. Elaine Rodrigue. Angus MacLise, This weekend it was Charlemagne Palestine and Robert Ashley.  

It appears that there are connections between these rabbit holes, and one artist leads me to the others.  They may be rabbit holes when I first fall in them, but once deep down inside they reveal themselves to be wormholes, leading me from one on to the next.

I fear there is no escape.  I fear I have lost my mind.  

No comments: