Sunday, December 05, 2021

Reliance


Today is the day for reliance, for with it we do not incline toward small vehicles.

On this date in 1901, both Walt Disney and Werner Heisenberg were born, and the 20th Century proper got underway.

To make a massive understatement, I was not pleased with the results of last night's SEC Championship football game.  My beloved Georgia Bulldogs, 12-0 and with National Championship hopes in their hearts, lost to the Alabama Crimson Tide like they always do. Final score was 41-24, and the game was just as ugly as the score implies.  Georgia hasn't beaten Alabama since before Obama's first term.  My disappointment was immeasurable and my day was ruined.

Today it as announced that despite the humiliating defeat, the Bulldogs will still be in the College Football Playoffs and have an at least mathematical chance of still winning the College Football Championship.  "All" they have to do is beat the Big 10 Champion, 12-1 Michigan, and then the winner of the Cincinnati-Alabama game (probably Alabama).  

All hope was knocked from my sails last night and I went to bed feeling defeated and downtrodden.  Now, part of me wants to hope again, while another part of me doesn't want to get all enthusiastic about something that I want apparently more than the Georgia Bulldogs football team wants.

Another Georgia resident recently returned from a visit to South Africa has tested positive for the omicron variant.  The previous resident was in New Jersey by the time genomic sequencing determined the covid strain was omicron, but this second resident is isolating at his Atlanta-area home while contact tracing is underway.  The omicron variant has now been detected in 15 states and multiple countries.

Former Kansas senator and one-time presidential candidate Bob Dole has died, age 98.  Impermanence is swift.  I was in his office once.  Literally.  In 2003, Dole joined the Washington, D.C. office of the law firm Alston & Bird, where he carried on his post-Senatorial lobbying career.  I was in D.C., I'm thinking around 2005 or 2006, as a testifying expert on a litigation case handled by Alston & Bird, and someone pointed out that the office I was walking past was Dole's.  I had to walk in (he wasn't there at the time) and my attorney client kept a very close eye on me the whole time, but I can officially say that I was once in Bob Dole's office.  


No comments: