Tuesday, December 07, 2021

Infamy

 

Today is the 80th anniversary of the "date which will live in infamy."  On December 7, 1941, Japanese forces launched a surprise attack on the American fleet at Pearl Harbor.  2,403 Americans were killed and 1,178 others were wounded.  Impermanence is swift.

On that infamous day, journalist and activist Melba Pattillo Beals was born in Little Rock, Arkansas.  Today is her 80th birthday!  Beals was a member of the Little Rock Nine, a group of African-American students who were the first to integrate Little Rock Central High School in 1956.   Racist Governor Orval Faubus used National Guard troops to block their entry to the school, forcing President Eisenhower to send in the 101st Airborne Division to protect their lives.  I was 2 years old at the time.  

Today is the day for the perfection of generosity, for in every instance it causes features to be pleasant,  adorns the world, and teaches and guides stingy and greedy living beings. 

I finally set Fallout 76 aside yesterday after some 335 hours of gameplay.  It's my fourth-longest-played game, after Fallout 4 (640 hours), Cyberpunk 2077 (513 hours) and Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (344 hours).  If I had played all four of those games back-to-back and non-stop, it would have taken me 76 days and 8 hours to complete.

My new game is Far Cry 6.  I've played Far Cry 3, 4, and 5, as well as Far Cry: Primal and Far Cry: New Dawn.  So far, the game's okay - not great but passable.  I often don't like new games when I first start (they're, well, different), but I have a feeling this one's not going to improve much from here. We'll see.

No comments: