Monday, November 02, 2020

Day 1


The tree guys returned today and hauled away all of the remaining wood from the tree formerly on top of my house.  I'm already in a dispute with my insurance company over what they think is the going rate for tree removal versus what I actually had to pay to get the job done.

On the other end of the spectrum, my microwave oven died after the hurricane.  I don't know how the storm impacted the appliance, but it was working fine on Thursday night before the storm hit, and when power was finally restored on Halloween, it wasn't working.  Dead as a doornail.   I drove out to the unsellable condo in Vinings and brought home the microwave from there as a replacement.

Finally, I rolled up my sleeves and paid off November's bills (October's, technically).  On top of the money spent on tree removal and the property taxes that were due last month on the house and the unsellable condo, I feel like I'm hemorrhaging cash.  Not a great feeling on a fixed-income retirement. Money spent on the house should get recouped by insurance (after the deductible) and money spent on the condo should get recouped in the unlikely event of an eventual sale, but I just hate writing checks at this pace.

Election Day is tomorrow.  That should be interesting.  Coronavirus is still infecting our daily lives. Oh, and Winter in coming.

2020 has indeed been a lot to process.

No comments: