Friday, April 17, 2020

Day 25


In wildly unrelated news, the influential music website, Pitchfork, which reviews and scores albums on a scale of 1 to 10, gave the new Fiona Apple LP, Fetch the Bolt Cutters, a perfect 10.  It's the first 10 they've scored in ten years, and only the second in the last 20.

I've been listening to the album on repeat all day today and I have to say this:  They're right.  It's fascinating, brilliant, and one of the most original albums I've heard in years.

Reviews last year were also correct about the video game Fallout 76.  It was dreadful - a buggy, uninspired mess.

I read that they've made some major improvements to the game and have issued an update called Fallout Wastelanders to address many of the game's shortcomings.  I heard the update is being offered for free to those who bought the original game, which is a nice compensation to those of us who suffered through the original. 

Today I opened the app for the video-game retailer Steam, and found a copy of Wastelanders ready for download in my queue.  But to my surprise, I saw that they also gave me a copy of the very original Fallout game, as well as Fallout 2 and something called Fallout Tactics.  All for free.

Three free games and a free update to a flawed game.  That's a nice gesture to fans during this shelter-in-place quarantine time, when music, Netflix, and video games are all that's keeping some of us from going insane.

And yes, climate change is real.

No comments: