Monday, March 16, 2020

When The World Is Sick


The latest data released Monday from the Georgia Department of Public Health states that the total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Georgia is now 122, a 22% increase from Sunday’s 99.

The first case of coronavirus was reported today in Greenland. Greenland, people.  And for some reason, there are still no reported cases in the state of West Virginia, the only state in the U.S. without a reported case.  Fun fact:  apparently, dogs are immune to Covid-19.  At least, I think it's a fact, but I read it on the internet so who knows?  Also, what kind of monster tries to give a dog Covid-19 in the first place?  Lab mice are also immune, and that's slowing down research as scientists are having to breed and genetically engineer new strains of mice for coronavirus testing.

This morning, I rescheduled a cleaning appointment I had for later this week with my dental hygienist to mid-May, and I also postponed an appointment with my tax preparer.  I'll file for an extension and take care of the taxes sometime this summer when hopefully this pandemic will have blown over.

The song in the video above is by Silver Mount Zion, or more fully, Thee Silver Mount Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra-La-La Band.  The band consists of members of the post-rock collective Godspeed You! Black Emperor.  The images are pretty much random pictures that found a home somewhere on my hard drive.

The mournful, repeated stanza is the closing section of a much longer song, God Bless Our Dead Marines, and has been going through my mind for days now.  I felt obligated to share it with y'all, but didn't want to ask you to sit through the entire song just for the part I wanted you to hear.

No comments: