Friday, November 29, 2019

Thanksgiving


I only eat ice cream about 6 to 10 times a year - usually on holidays or as a dessert when dining out.  But when I do eat ice cream, I abide by two simple rules.  First, I eat an entire pint at a time (home rule, only -  don't try that one at a restaurant).  Second, when I finish, I let the cats lick the empty container (again, home rule only - don't try that one at a restaurant either); the cats actually are the ones who enforce Rule 2.

So late last night, Thanksgiving evening, I indulged in one of my splurges and ate a pint of Ben & Jerry's Stephen Colbert Americone Dream ice cream.  After I had finished, Izzy the cat (the dumber, fatter one), while trying to lick the very bottom of the container, got his head stuck in the container and couldn't figure out how to get it off.  He thrashed his head around for a while while the other cat, Eliot (the smarter, leaner one) calmly watched until the container finally came off.  I saw it all coming and had the presence of mind to grab my phone and snap some pictures.   




Actually, that whole head-stuck-in-an-ice-cream-container schtick is a perfect metaphor for gluttony and Thanksgiving traditions.  My Thanksgiving gluttony involved different kinds of over-indulgence.  I played Fallout: New  Vegas for something like 10 hours yesterday, from the start of the game to launching the ghouls into space from the REPCONN test center near Novac.  Later, I decided to unwind with a little Netflix, and watched the first episode of Season 1 of The OA. Season 1 first aired in 2016, but it was the first time for me, and I got sucked right in and wound up watching 5 1/2 60-minute episodes before finally going to bed near 4 a.m.    

I watched the last 1 1/2  episodes of Season 1 this morning, and expect to watch Season 2 tonight.  I know I keep saying that such-and-such a show is "the best thing on television right now," but any list of the most innovative and imaginative television shows would have to include at least Season 1 of The OA.  Probably Season 2 as well, but I haven't seen it yet and will withhold judgement and/or praise until I do.

No comments: