Tuesday, November 26, 2019


I'm still tinkering around with the highly enjoyable game Outer Worlds.  

Last night, late last night, I finished my fourth play-through of the game's story line. Part of the appeal of the game is that decisions and choices made earlier in the game result in different outcomes and events later in the game, so it's never really the same game twice, unless you slavishly repeat everything you've done before.  

To be honest, I didn't change my behavior very radically in any of the four play-throughs - I always try to be the good guy and to not offend the other characters (unless they're obviously the villains). But the game does give you the option to side with the villains if you want and fight your supposed comrades instead of the other way around.  I just can't get myself to do that. 

Most of the changes I made were little adjustments and modifications to previous choices after I learned some of the karmic consequences later in the game.  My goal was to have the "perfect" ending - all my companions not only surviving but thriving in the end, the space colony rescued, and the bad guys all vanquished.  That, and not miss any of the side quests or little details in the game.  I think I finally achieved that last night.

It's time for something new.  I've been playing The Outer Worlds for the better part of a month now and while I'm still intrigued with the idea of doing yet another run-through - maybe as a super-evil villain killing everyone I meet, friends and foes alike, this time, or as as a loyal captain working on behalf of the bad guys - I don't want to burn out on the game.  I'ts time to fondly set it aside for at least a couple of months and play something new, something different, or maybe pick up some other game that I had set aside for a while and see how that goes.

Outer Worlds was produced by Obsidian, the makers of 2010's Fallout - New Vegas.  It might be interesting to replay New Vegas and see if I get a  sense of the roots of Outer World's magic.

No comments: