Thursday, August 15, 2019


I've been enjoying Far Cry 5 and don't want the game to end, but I'm at the inevitable climactic scene.  

Ever since my birthday back on July 25 when I bought the game as a present to myself, I've played the game for some 99 hours.  It's been fun, and a lot less frustrating than some of the more tedious missions in it's predecessor, Far Cry  4.  But 5 is even more open-world than 4, and allows the player as much exploring time and adventuring as one wants - there's even some pretty good hunting and fishing simulators in there. It's set in the fictional Hope County, Montana, and the game captures well the joys of being outdoors in the Rocky Mountain summertime.

But try as I might, I couldn't avoid getting pulled into some of the story missions, and one thing leads to another and before I know it, I've eliminated all of the lower henchmen and adversaries and have come to the final confrontation with the main villain.  

I know how this ends - it's no secret and I've seen the YouTube videos showing the three possible outcomes.  They're all dark, and after the final confrontation, no matter which of the outcomes, there's going to be no more exploring or hunting or fishing in Hope County for me.

So my character is supposed to respond to a challenge by finally meeting the villain face to face for the final confrontation.  I'm sure that he's waiting there at the appointed spot, well armed and with an army of supporters, but knowing that arriving there marks a point of no return, I've instead been wandering all over the game map, looking for any possible adventures and missions I may have missed, and not surprisingly, I've found quite a few.

Look, Joseph Seed (that's the villain), we'll meet soon enough.  Guns will be fired, trucks will be driven off of roads, and the fires of Armageddon will come raining down from the skies.  Meanwhile, just let me bag one more pronghorn and see if I can't finally reel in The Admiral, the monster sturgeon that's eluded all the other fishermen in Hope County.

The game will be over before the end of this weekend and I don't know what I'll play next.  Please don't make me go back to Metal Gear Solid 5.

No comments: