Monday, April 30, 2018

The Wolf Who Came To Dinner


I've been trying to cut back on posting partisan political content on this blog (have you noticed?).  I don't think it accomplishes anything much in the long run.  Sure, it makes me feel good for a minute or two and might make someone of the same political bent smile as well, but just for a few minutes until the anger starts to kick in.  And as for the other side, well, I've never heard of any of those posts, memes, cartoons and satire ever changing anyone's opinion.  I've never once heard someone say, "Well, I was a big fan of Donald Trump's, but after I saw that side-by-side picture of him and an orangutan, now I've got my doubts."  No, it just makes the right angrier and more ready to double-down on their resentment, just like racist pictures of President Obama did to the left during his term in office.

I've been trying to cut back on partisan political posts, but then Michelle Wolf comes along and dominates the news feed with her routine at the White House Correspondents Dinner.   From the outrage her remarks generated and the way it's been described in the media ("a foul-mouthed, obscene personal attack on Sarah Huckabee Sanders, who was sitting just a few feet away"), you'd think Wolf took the podium, said, "That Sarah's one @#!!&%! ugly little b----! Her $%!!# must look like @!?#%!" or something like that.  But no, it was a very typical comedic roast of parties on all sides of the political spectrum, from Rachel Maddow and Mika Brzezinski on the left to Kellyanne Conway and Meghan Kelly on the right, and even some male figures as well.  Her comments about Huckabee Sanders were mostly about the fact that she lies all the time, not her appearance, unless of course you totally miss the joke about burning facts to get the perfect shade of eye shadow.  

I'm not posting any more partisan political stuff, at least not here, but if you want to hear Wolf's full routine for yourself, yesterday (April 29) I posted the whole complete thing from the CSPAN feed over here.  It's actually pretty funny, and while occasionally ribald and, yes, she did drop an f-bomb or two, it's hardly a "foul-mouthed, obscene personal attack."

But here's the part that I love and the point of this post -  Michelle's career has skyrocketed after the Dinner performance.  There's no such thing as bad publicity and everyone's been talking about her for the last 48 hours.  She's booked about every late-night talk show.  Netflix has offered her her own comedy series.  She's breaking through as a star and it's about time - she was a stand-out guest on Larry Wilmore's Nightly Show (at least until Comedy Central axed it), and her HBO special last year had me laughing so hard I literally had tears in my eyes.  I've been a big fan and couldn't be happier to see her getting the attention she deserves.


No comments: