Saturday, May 13, 2017


Today was spent at the first day of Atlanta's Shaky Knees Music Festival.  This is the Fifth Anniversary of the festival, and so far I've been to every day of every year of the fest.  Here's who I saw today:

Frank Turner & The Rattlesnakes



Because somebody had to open the festival.

 Zipper Club



A new one on me.  The band apparently consists of members of Cerebral Ballsy and Lissy Trullie of, well, Lissy Trullie.  They were good.

Temples


British psychedelic rock in the tradition of early Pink Floyd.  A band I've wanted to see for a while now, and the first check of the day off of my bucket list. 

Car Seat Headrest


A triumphant set by Will Toledo and company.  Last year's album, Teens of Denial, was my AOTY, and their set last year at Terminal West was probably my favorite show of 2016.

Wolf Parade


A Canadian indie-rock supergroup of sorts, featuring Spencer Krug of Moonface (left) and Dan Boeckner of Handsome Furs, Operators, Divine Fits, and other bands (right).  This is a band I never thought I'd see perform (I thought they all went their separate ways) and the second check off my bucket list.  


It's not an Atlanta festival unless it rains at least once, but despite dire warnings, 

Preoccupations



(formerly known as Viet Cong) performed a massive-sounding set.  However, the skies cleared up without any rain (other than one or two drops) hitting the festival grounds.


LCD Soundsystem 


New York's LCD Soundsystem headlined.  I've been wanting to see LCD for a full 10 years now - they're one of my favorite bands - and I finally got to cross a third band off of my bucket list.

Here's a small part of the audience for LCD:


Here's your humble narrator:


Shaky Knees continues through the weekend.  I'm off to bed for a full day of music tomorrow.

No comments: