Monday, April 17, 2017

Meditations Whilst Stuck In Traffic


Impermanence: This traffic will not last forever.. There was a time when I wasn't in this traffic jam, and there will be a time when I will no longer be in this, and at that later time, it won't seem to matter nearly as much as it seems to matter now.

Stoicism: This is the situation.  Thus, the cars are not moving.  How I react to this situation is my own decision - why increase my suffering and the suffering of others with impatience and anger?

The Origin of Suffering:  This is the world as I'm experiencing it at this moment.  To wish that the world was somehow different is to cling to a false illusion, and clinging to delusion is the origin of suffering.

The Idiot Driving Ahead of Me:  There's at least four car lengths open ahead of him.  Why doesn't he move forward and let all of us behind him advance a few tens of feet?  Grrrrrr!  Beep!

George Carlin: "Did you ever notice while driving that everyone going slower that you is a moron, and everyone driving faster than you is a maniac?"

No comments: