Monday, July 20, 2015

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.  Chase after money and security, and your heart will never unclench. Care about people's approval and you will be their prisoner. Do your work, then step back: the only path to serenity. - Lao Tzu (Tao Te Ching, #9)
Most of my work at Fort McPherson now seems to be over - the project is still continuing, but it's now at a point where it doesn't appear to need my full-time, on-site participation.  

While I won't pretend that I liked the high-90s heat and humidity associated with field work in Georgia in mid-July, I do feel a certain satisfaction of having risen to the challenge and completing the task I had assigned myself.

I've found that it is much more pleasant to go through life saying "yes" and accepting what comes rather than fiercely fighting to have things "my way," that is, saying "no" to life as it actually is and attempting to impose my own will on the grand scheme of things.

I've also found that it's easier to remember this back in the air-conditioned comfort of home than under the Georgia sun while getting attacked by bees.

No comments: