Sunday, July 28, 2024

Day of Wages

 

It's been a humid, rainy month, but there haven't been any big storms. Still, the wet soil and moist conditions have accelerated the rotting of wood in dead and dying trees and I've seen newly fallen trees and downed limbs on my walks along the Beltline trail and the Chattahoochee NRA.

Today, the neighbors noted that a fallen tree had demolished a vacant house just up the road from me. The house used to belong to an elderly gentleman, one of the original homeowners on this block. His house is now vacant because he died when a different tree fell on him on the same property. Now another tree took out the house in which he used to live.

After the trauma of having a fallen tree demolish my roof in late October 2020, I consoled myself that now that the disaster has happened, I'm safe under the "lightning doesn't strike twice" rule. But this kind of questions that assumption, as two trees have fallen on a property just a few doors up the road, taking out a house and ending a life. 

Safety is an illusion.          

No comments: