Thursday, October 19, 2023

Water Dissolves Water


What happens when you feed the phrase "water dissolves water" into Bing's AI image generator, you ask?  Voila, the results above.

I like the symmetry, and I also appreciate that there's a somewhat Zen-like aspect to the image, consistent with my intentions in selecting the name all those years ago. 

I understand Bing uses the Dall-E 3 AI to generate its images. Last week, I was playing around with the earlier Dall-E 2 to generate pictures of reed player Anthony Braxton: I wanted to see what Dall-E 3 would give me with its better resolution and greater imagination, but any prompt I gave Bing that included the term "anthony braxton" got blocked and a message warned of "Unsafe Content."  

I have no idea what the problem is, unless they are concerned about someone creating deep fakes to slander a celebrity. I tested that theory by requesting images of Jim Jordan, and got similarly blocked. But when I went more generic, and prompted the AI with the words "speaker of the house concedes defeat," I got this vaguely subversive image:


So instead of asking specifically for Braxton, I asked Dall-E 3 to come up with an image by using the more-generic term "jazz musician" and my results included the following:





I find it interesting that none of the Bing Dall-E 3 results included African-American musicians. I wonder if the Braxton requests got blocked due to some perceived racial sensitivities, or if there's an inherent anti-black bias in the results for generic "jazz musicians"?

No comments: