Sunday, October 15, 2023


In addition to listening to the recent albums by Animal Collective and the late, great Jaimie Branch, and to the massive catalog of recordings on the Tzadik label recently released to streaming by composer John Zorn, and to the artists included in the lineup announcements for the 2024 Big Ears festival, I've still been listening to a lot of Brazilian music from the 1970s.  

Regarding the latter, it's not plagiarism and I'm not trying to claim that it is, but to me Jorge Ben Jorge's 1975 song Meus Filhos, Meu Tesouro ("My Children, My Treasure") is similar to Devendra Banhart's 2007 Carmenista. Slow, soulful start for the first 0:40 seconds or so, and then fast declaratory lyrics sung in a downward scale. Again, not plagarism, not even close, but I always like to hear parallels in music, especially across decades and generations.  


Of course, Jorge Ben Jorge is no stranger to being the victim of plagiarism.  See if you can hear any similarities between his 1972 song Taj Mahal and a 1978 disco hit popular in the US and the UK. 

No comments: