Friday, November 11, 2022


As forecast, the remnants of Hurricane Nicole, now downgraded to Tropical Depression Nicole, passed over Atlanta way early this morning and dumped bucketloads of rain on Georgia.  I don't know yet what the total rainfall was in inches, but in terms of hours it rained pretty steadily from about midnight until at least 9:00 a.m.  

No storm damage here, no fallen trees - didn't even lose power.  The photo above was taken outside my front door shortly after the rain stopped.  I've posted different photos of this view here before - this is the scenery most familiar to me.  This is what I see each time I leave the house, this is what I see when I look outside to determine whether or not Amazon's delivered yet, this is what I see when I hear a noise outside and go to investigate. This is the image most intimately etched into my brain. In the future, when neurocyberneticists take a few neurons from my brain and hook them up to their computer, this is the image that will appear on the screen.  

Tall, tall trees, still standing after yet another hurricane here in the Anthropocene.  

Also as forecast (at least by me), I did not go to Variety Playhouse last night to hear Godspeed You! Black Emperor.  As I should have expected, today there are messages all over the Godspeed sub-Reddit proclaiming last night's show to be the best Godspeed set ever.  Fortunately, someone recorded the show and posted it online.  He claims security called backstage as he was setting up his mics, and the band said they were cool with the recording.

The set opened with Hope Drone, as nearly all Godspeed shows have for years now, followed by several songs from their recent G_d's pee at State's End! LP (Job's Lament, First of the Last Glaciers, Anthem for No State, Cliff's Gaze, and Fire at Static Valley). That was followed by World Police and Friendly Fire from their breakthrough 2000 album Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven.  The set closed with The Sad Mafioso from their 1997 debut album F♯ A♯ ∞.  Here's a playable link to the recording:


Still no word yet on the outcome of the Arizona and Nevada elections and political control of the Senate.  The outcome of these races will also determine the tenor of the Georgia runoff election, and whether or not the Peach State vote will be the final decision on senatorial control. With all 48 other states already reporting, I don't know why it takes Arizona and Nevada so much longer, year after year, to report their results.  I think they just like the attention that goes with being the last to report.

No comments: