Monday, November 14, 2022


Alert readers will recall that I almost elected not to go to next year's Big Ears festival because of the way the line-up poster read.  Taken literally, the poster seemed to suggest that the headliners would be Mali's Amadou & Miriam.

Look, I love Malian music and I like Amadou & Miriam.  But as headliners for a music festival? Didn't seem to warrant the literally thousands of dollars I would have to pay for a VIP pass, hotel accommodations, food, gas, beer, etc.

But I looked a little closer and bought the ticket anyway.  Since then, my faith has been rewarded multiple times by announcements of additional acts.  It seems Big Ears is going all-out on what will be their 10th Anniversary festival.

In addition to new performers that I know (Sun Ra Arkestra, Gyan Riley, and Anthony Coleman), the new announcements included even more performers whom I had not heard before.  For instance, the duo of Justin Adams and Mario Durante.  New to me, but if this one video is any indication, they will be on my Spotify playlists for a long while.

No comments: