Wednesday, June 02, 2021

I'm Not A Viking Anymore


It's over.  After some 257 hours of gameplay, I've finally completed Assassins Creed: Valhalla

If 257 hours sounds like a lot to you, well, it is.  Especially for one play through.  Most games can be completed in anywhere from 40 to 60 hours, and some very complex games can take as long as 90 hours.

Valhalla took so long to complete both because of the long main story line, which has you completing "story arcs" in 21 different territories, and because of all the side quests and exploration possible.  I'm nothing if not a completionist in these games, and I wasn't about to finish until I found every last treasure chest and solved every puzzle and riddle in each on the 21 territories.

Thrift:  I purchased the game back in March for $60, after spending some 458 hours with Cyberpunk 2077 (three full playthroughs and then some partial games).  At 257 hours for one playthrough of Valhalla, that comes to $0.23/hour - less than one quarter dollar per hour.

The last two days, I've played the Murder on Eridonos DLC update to The Outer Worlds.  Wrapped that up in two days and less than 10 hours - a mere triffling compared to my recent game experiences (I've been playing nothing but Cyberpunk and Valhalla since December 10, 2020).  Seemed barely worth the download time.

So what to play next?  I never finished Red Dead Redemption II or Grand Theft Auto V -  should I go back and finish either of those games?  Since I first played them, both Fallout 76 and No Man's Sky have gone through significant and reportedly game-changing revisions - should I give either of those a second shot? I already own all those games, so there would be no additional cost.

Or should I splurge a little bit and go with the next installment of the Hitman franchise and purchase Hitman 3?   Or is there some new game out there I should purchase?  Death StrandingDays Gone? Dying Light 2

I'm open to suggestions.

No comments: