Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Next Chapter


It's finally over and done (done and over?).  Repair work on my house is finally finished, with no "except for" caveats.  I've paid off the contractors, and now it's all complete.

For those of you new here, late last October, a tree, a large white ash, fell on my house when Hurricane Eta passed through Atlanta, destroying my roof and badly damaging sheetrock throughout the house. Amazingly, the ceilings were never breached and the house was still habitable.  

I had the tree removed almost immediately, but spent the past 6½ months negotiating with my insurance company, negotiating with contractors, and then trying to manage the actual repairs.  My entire roof had to be replaced - not just re-shingled, but the actual rafters and beams supporting the roof had to be replaced. I had new facia, soffits, and gutters installed completely around the house.  Exterior spotlights and wall lamps had to be replaced.  The bricks on one wall all had to be removed for some reason and then all put back in place.  Inside the house, the ceilings were replaced in the living room, dining room, and kitchen, and the floor replaced in the master bedroom.  The rear, kitchen door was replaced.  Cracked drywall was either replaced or repaired, and most of the interior was repainted.  I had to move out of the house for a full month while some of the heavy-duty work was being performed in the interior.  

All of this activity, the negotiating and the contracting, the actual repairs, waiting through inexplicable disappearances of work crews, haranguing my prime contractor when progress seemed to be stalling, dominated my life the past ever since that tree fell.  Now that it's all over, I wonder what  to do next.

I'm retired, I'm vaccinated, and the pandemic restrictions have mostly all been lifted.  But without the impending crisis of trying to get my house repaired, I suddenly find myself directionless, rudderless, wondering what to do with myself next.

By the way, the house looks great, better than it's been in like 15 years.

No comments: