Monday, January 25, 2021

Walking


On a nearly religious basis, I walk at least two miles a day.  My routine as of late is to get up and immediately walk three-quarters of a mile (three trips around the park) right away before morning coffee or any other alibi to put off walking.  

I might rack up another quarter mile or so just puttering around the house, looking for my eyeglasses or my cell phone.  But sometime in the afternoon, as the weather allows, I'll take an afternoon walk on a nearby portion of the Atlanta Beltline trail, covering just as much distance as necessary to complete my daily two-mile goal. My iPhone has a pedometer app that helps me keep track of my daily mileage, and records each days effort.

The walks give me a tad bit of easy exercise but more importantly get me outside and a chance to breathe some fresh air.  I maintain social distance and wear a paper mask while walking on the Beltline, but the walks also let me have a modicum of social interaction or at least visually see other human beings. 

Two miles a day isn't much (it's pretty easy) but consistency results in 14  miles a week, 56 miles a month, or 672 miles a year, which is sort of the equivalent of walking from here to Baltimore, Maryland.  

No comments: