Sunday, September 13, 2020

From the Sports Desk


 I think one thing we can all agree on is that 2020 has been a trying year.  So I, for one, was glad to see sports finally resume, even if in delayed and shortened seasons, seasons that are sure to forever have asterisks next to whatever statistics are generated.

The Boston Celtics just triumphed over a gritty seven-game series against the Toronto Raptors, last year's NBA champion, and are looking like contenders for the Championship Series, if not the championship itself.  I was on the edge of my seat right up to the end of each game (and don't get me started about the end of Game Three).

The NFL resumed today.  It was nice to see Cam Newton have a good game in his debut as the New England Patriots new quarterback, my old job (just kidding, it was Tom Brady's).  Cam had 75 yards rushing, more yards than any other player on either team.  Meanwhile, Tom Brady's looking a little shaky in his debut at Tampa Bay - at halftime, his Buccaneers trail by 10 points, and he is 8 for 12 and has only 76 yards with one interception.

The distraction of sports is a pleasant relief from all the other concerns of this virus-begotten year of the plague.  I'll take all the entertainment I can get, even if it's just tracking Naomi Osaka's face masks in the U.S. Open.

No comments: