Thursday, May 28, 2020

Day 666


I don't want to incite violence and I'm not a violent person (I feel strongly about violence). But even as I've been sheltering in place and trying to be a responsible citizen,  I've been seeing ignorant armed rednecks on television protesting their "right" to infect others and not wear face masks in public, and I've seen the police standing idly by even as the protesters stormed into state capitol buildings.  

Then I see horrifying video of the same kind of rednecks in Brunswick, Georgia hunt down and kill a jogger, who's only "crime" was apparently jogging while black.  No arrests were made for two months after the lynching until the video went viral and the outrage was nationwide.  

And then I see another video of a policeman in Minneapolis kneeling on another man's throat, even though the man was pleading for him to get off and saying, "I can't breathe," and spectators were begging the cop to get off him (be knelt on the man's throat for a full eight minutes).  The man died, another black death at the hands of a white policeman.

Naturally, protesters demonstrated in Minneapolis after the killing, but the restraint the police showed for the armed white protesters taking over the capitol building was gone.  The police responded with water cannons and tear gas and rubber bullets, and soon a riot broke out and last night, parts of Minneapolis were on fire. 

I don't believe in violence as a solution to anything, but right now I'm fucking mad and I'm fucking angry and I want to lash out, and to be honest I want to hurt that policeman, those Georgia lynchers, and those mouth-breathing armed protesters.  I want to bring the same shit and suffering down on them that they've brought down on their victims.  I want them to taste their own medicine (although many of the face-mask protesters will be tasting a ventilator soon enough).


I'm not violent and I'm going to remain quarantined at home, but goddamn, these are times that make a motherfucker want to throw a  molotov.  I'm not surprised Minneapolis is burning - I'm more surprised that Washington DC isn't.

No comments: