Sunday, December 01, 2019


When people ask me what retirement is like, one of my stock answers is to honestly say it's like a weekend that never ends.

At the same time, though, I am fully aware of the days of the week and the dates of the month.  Even though there's no back-to-work day for me, a weekend still feels different that a weekday, and the long Thanksgiving weekend ending tonight felt different that the other days in November.

I spent much of the holiday in fantasyland, completing the video game The Outer Worlds and re-starting the classic Fallout: New Vegas.  Meanwhile, I indulged in my current television favorites, Watchmen and Mr. Robot, rewatching past episodes to keep up with what's going on now in the shows. And tonight, we have new episodes of both.

I also binge-watched 16 hours of Seasons 1 and 2 of Netflix' The OA.  I liked Season 1 more than Season 2, a lot, but it says something about the latter season that it kept me up past 3 a.m. last night to get to the conclusion.  

Today, I had to drive up to the condo in Vinings to inspect the place as my tenant was moving out.  I was hoping to exchange keys today, but not surprisingly, he hadn't yet finished yet and I gave him until tomorrow to move everything out, rather than have him dragging furniture up and down the stairs until late hours tonight and disturbing all the neighbors.  

Tomorrow morning, I have an emergency dentist appointment.  Somehow, I managed to chip a front tooth on Thanksgiving day, and couldn't get to the dentist until they re-open on Monday morning.  I don't want to talk about it except to say that even though chipping a tooth sounds like part of a drinking story, alcohol had absolutely nothing to do with it.  But going through the entire weekend with a smile that looked like an NHL goalie's and the prospect of having to be across town at my dentist by 8 a.m. tomorrow morning, definitely made the Thanksgiving week feel more like a traditional extended weekend, with the weight of Monday-morning obligations ever looming over my head.

No comments: