Thursday, October 17, 2019

Quarter Life Poetry


This might well be one of the most brilliant things I've ever seen.  Samantha Jayne is a genius.

This tenacious cold of mine (the Tenacious C) is still lingering on but this morning felt like I'm finally starting to turn a corner.  Still some stuffiness, but the headaches and wooziness are subsiding. That, and I was finally able to get some sleep last night.

I might have picked up the Tenacious C when I was out walking on Sunday.  The long summer drought of 2019 has finally abated and it actually rained on Sunday morning, the first time in literally months.  I took my walk in the afternoon, but it was a lot cooler (70s) than it had been for the past several weeks (90s), and I walked through a fine misty drizzle.  I understand how germ theory works and know you don't contract colds solely by wet weather and damp clothes, but the cooler temps and damp clothes may have lowered my resistance to the point where the Tenacious C could overcome my immune system.   

Speaking of weather changes, last night the temperature fell below 45 degrees.  Just last week, temps were in the 80s and the week before that, in the high 90s.  It got cold enough last night that I had to turn on the heat, and usually there's at least a four- to six-week period in Atlanta where you don't need AC or heat.  It's called "autumn,"  when you can finally crack some windows open and let in air that's neither hot and humid nor bitterly cold.  We've gone from having four seasons a year to two - long. hot summers followed immediately by (albeit mild) winters.

Also, what was the point of Tuesday night's Democratic debate?  With 12 candidates up on stage, no one got a chance to say very much and I doubt too many people's opinions were swayed.  You either like Candidate X or you don't.  But providing a forum for some candidate polling at only 1% to get on the same stage and trash-talk the front-runners hurts the front-runners more than it helps the underdog. What about taking just the top three, or maybe 4 or 5, candidates and allowing them a chance at a real debate, an exchange of ideas and policy positions? Wouldn't that be more refreshing than watching a dozen folks each trying to get their own "Instagram moment?"

I need to take a beat and circle back.

Finally, RIP Elijah Cummings.  You're already missed.

No comments: