Tuesday, January 09, 2018


Well, my team lost yesterday.  The Georgia Bulldogs lost in OT to the Alabama Crimson Tide, 26-23.

Sure, I experienced disappointment.  That's human.  Sure, I wanted to blame someone, anyone - the refs, for example, or the play-calling.  Suffering is not getting what we want and I had wanted to win, and suffering gives rise to anger and I experienced that, too.

Then I remembered that if we always won every time, winning wouldn't feel so great.  Losing games defines the experience of winning every bit as much as winning games defines the experience of losing.

Philosophically, I should feel grateful to Alabama because they created the conditions that will make Georgia's future success feel so much sweeter. 

Also, why get angry?  Anger is just our way of punishing ourselves for the misdeeds of others.

Still wish Georgia would have won, though.  Philosophically, I'm okay with the loss, but we don't live our lives philosophically, we live them emotionally, and emotionally, I'm sad that Georgia lost.

No comments: