Sunday, January 28, 2018

Hygge


The theme for the weekend ending this evening has been hygge.  Hygge (“hoo-guh")  is a Scandinavian term that loosely translates to "comfy" and has been more specifically defined (OED) as “a quality of cosiness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being." 

Outside, the weather's been rainy and cool (Southern cool, meaning in the low 50s).  Inside, I was warm and dry and spent the weekend engaged in domestic chores, mostly slowly and methodically cleaning house, not with the goal of getting everything spit-polish clean by the end of the weekend, but just a deliberate and leisurely-paced process of appreciating and maintaining the house on a room-by-room basis.  I never broke a sweat and to be honest, I didn't get much past the master bedroom, bath and kitchen, but that's alright - it was the process, not the result, that made it all hygge.

When it was all done, I was able to snuggle among clean sheets, fluffy blankets and pillows, and cats, and completed the NY Times Sunday crossword puzzle in bed in a little over one  hour.  

I also allowed myself ample time to play video games and wrapped up just about everything there is to do in Fallout: New Vegas.  It'll be on to the next game soon.

Boring?  Only if you need constant distraction and over-stimulation to avoid ennui.  Lonely? I was by myself all weekend, but I've long ago noticed that I'm never lonely when I'm alone - I only experience loneliness in public settings.    

I actually look forward to another weekend like this one.  It was nice, and I'm better for it.

No comments: