Monday, November 06, 2017

Sequestered In Dallas


I spent the day today in Dallas.  Dallas, Georgia (not that I think the other Dallas would have been any better).

Or maybe it would have been, because I spent the entire day sequestered.  Sequestered in Dallas.  Dallas, Georgia.

I'm a witness in an environmental litigation case and I'm waiting my turn to testify in court in front of a judge and jury.  But because the rules of evidence (or something) don't allow me to hear other people's testimony, I had to spend the day sequestered, just sitting in an empty room with only some chairs, a table, and an empty chalkboard to keep me company.  I never got a chance to testify today and at the rate I understand the trial is going, I may not testify until Wednesday or even Thursday.

Of course, being in Dallas brings Texas to mind, even if I am in Dallas, Georgia, and the resonances between being sequestered and being in Dallas keep reminding me of the refrain in that Hold Steady song that goes "Subpoenaed in Texas, Sequestered in Memphis."  


No comments: