Friday, September 19, 2014

Futbol Americano


Last night, we took a client out to the Georgia Dome to watch the Atlanta Falcons play the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in a Thursday Night NFL Game.  It wasn't pretty: we left during the Third Quarter after Atlanta had taken a 42-0 lead.  The final score was 56-14.


I'll say this about the NFL: this is as naked an example of American culture as one can imagine. Loud, violent, gaudy, and as commercial and capitalistic as it can get.  The price on my ticket was $209, although I was told it actually cost a lot more than that, but the company bought it, not I, so I can't tell for sure. The luxury boxes, the corporate suites, the expense-account prices - corporations may not be people as some think, but they sure drive the cost up for people.  Add to that the advertising on the big Jumbotron screen, advertising on the sidelines, awkward time outs during the game for televised advertisements, and I give you America - televised, capitalized, and sold to the highest bidder.

Having said all that, it was thrilling and I loved it.

No comments: