Sunday, September 14, 2014

Assessment and Settlement


The roof saga continues.  Today, the insurance assessor came by to peel back the tarp, inspect and assess the damage, and offer me a settlement.


They weren't interested in buying me a new roof.  Instead, they estimated the cost to replace three roof shingles damaged by the fallen limb, as well as damage to the bedroom ceiling.  They cut a check right on the spot which was nice, but it's only enough to replace three roof shingles and fix the damage to the bedroom ceiling.   


I'm going to have to find a way to pay for a new roof, which probably means that I will have to sell a kidney dip into my IRA,  Sale of my house is an important part of my retirement plan, and an old leaky roof may well diminish its market value by a greater amount than i would be withdrawing from my savings,

 Impermanence.  Roofs, retirement plans, gutters, economies - nothing lasts forever.

No comments: