Monday, August 25, 2014

That Which Has Not Been Named


Chodo Cross tells us that all of us belong to something which, prior to our naming it or thinking about it, is already there.  And it already belongs to us.  Dharma is one name for what is already there.

One day, the Chinese Patriarch Hui-Neng said to the assembled monks, "I have something that has no head, no tail, and no name.  There is no calligraphic character to write for it.  It has no back and no front.  Do you monks know what it is?"  Jinne came forward and said, "I will tell you.  It is the origin of all the buddhas.  It is my buddha-nature."  Hui-Neng said, "I told you it has no name or defining character, and yet you call it 'the origin of buddha-nature'.  You may afterwards become the master of a little temple, but you will never be anything more than a lecturer on Zen."

If I told you I had the last thing you expected in the other room, whatever you guessed it to be, it wouldn't, because that wasn't the last thing you expected.

No comments: