Monday, December 16, 2013


A monk named Seizei said to Zen Master Sozan, “I am a poor destitute monk. I beg you to bestow upon me the alms of salvation.” 
Sozan aaid, “Venerable Seizei!” 
“Yes, Sir?” replied Seizei. 
Sozan said, “Someone has drunk three bowls of China's finest wine, but asserts that he has not yet moistened his lips.”

The Commentary
Seizei is obsequious, but what is his real state of mind? Sozan, with his Buddha-eye, sees into the recesses of it, and understands the visitor’s meaning. But however this may be, just tell me, where and why does Seizei drink this wine?

The Closing Verse
Poverty like the poorest man in China;
Spirit like the bravest man.
Although they cannot sustain themselves,
They are quarreling over riches.

2 comments:

Luciano said...

Where and why? I don't get the question... in the analogy being poor and destitute is the path to salvation he already is in, so asking for it is lack of awareness; I guess the "where" would be everywhere and the "why" would be because that's what he seems to be seeking.

I really like your blog =)

Shokai said...

Luciano: I think that Seizei is speaking metaphorically. His poverty is spiritual, not material, and he is asking for spiritual guidance, not financial assistance. In other words, he is admitting the great doubt we all struggle with, "I am not enlightened and do not feel like I have Buddha nature."

The hint to this is in the commentary, which asks what Seizei's real state of mind was. With his intuitive understanding, Sozan grasps the real question and answers that Seizei, like all of us, is already complete, whole, and lacking nothing. There is nothing to be gained, nothing to attain. We only need to realize our own true nature. Since we already have our own true nature, it is as if we have already drunk the wine, yet still complain of being thirsty.

But the beauty of this story is when Sozan calls out Seizei's name. When he responds, he is acknowledging his nature. That spark of recognition, that simple realization that "I am me," is when and where he "drinks the wine" of realization.

I think this story, like many other Zen stories, is trying to help us stop looking outside of ourselves for an answer, and just accept that we are all Buddhas already.

And thanks for the compliment. ;0}