Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Another Dark Morning


No electricity this morning - a drunk driver a couple blocks away apparently hit a tree which hit a power line which cut off power to 216 homes in my neighborhood.  This all occurred just a couple of houses away from the tree that came down last summer knocking out power, and the tree that came down last night had itself been previously hit by lightning.

My first reaction when I woke up and saw that my alarm clock off was off was to wonder if I had paid my electric bill.  Then I heard the hovering helicopters and knew there must have been something that was tying up traffic, and that "something" was most likely another downed tree.

Since I moved into this house in 2004, I've lost count of the number of power outages that have resulted from fallen trees in this neighborhood.  Far more than I've blogged about here - often I couldn't blog about them as I had no power or internet access.

Trees attacking electric distribution lines feels like Mother Nature taking her revenge against all of our coal-fueled power generation.  

No comments: