Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Looking Out My Backdoor


One of the other odd things about my utter lack of investment in any time spent gardening is that if all I do is leave a flowerpot open in the yard, something comes along to inhabit it.  I suppose there might be some sort of Darwinian survival-of-the-fittest competition as to which plant gets to inhabit which pot, but in my yard one and only one plant has taken root in each pot left outdoors. 


The plant above is, believe it or not, a Japanese red maple.  I'm no sure how the picture came out of it looking so green, but it is, in natural light, actually red.


I'm pretty sure this one is a weed, but I don't have the heart to tell it that it's just a weed or that it has to go after it's started to thrive so well in its own little flowerpot.  Zen Master Dogen once said that weeds, although despised, flourish, and that flowers, while cherished, fade.  This little guy's flourishing, so I'll let you decide whether it's a weed or a flower.


I have no idea what this one is - a holly, perhaps?  Whatever it is, it's doing really well in it's pot.

It's said in spiritual practice that when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.  In my yard, when the flowerpot is ready, the plant appears.  

No comments: