Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Levitation


My friend Nick sent me a link to some photographs of Natumi Hayashi, who photographs herself levitating at various places in and around Tokyo.

She has said that it was the English expression "to have one’s feet firmly planted on the ground" that inspired her to take the first photo of herself levitating.  Apparently they have the exact same phrase in Japan, but since she doesn’t consider herself a practical person she chose not to have her feet firmly on the ground in her self-portraits to show how she really is.

“In being free of gravity in the pictures, I am also not bound to societal conventions. I feel as though I am not tied to many things and able to be my true self.” the artist said in an interview.










A few similar pictures, although not by Ms. Hayashi.




No comments: