Sunday, March 11, 2012

White Rabbits



I've been conceiving a film in my mind, a reimagining of the zombie genre, in which the zombies aren't the gross, flesh-eating undead of most horror films, but normal-appearing persons who's minds have simply gone blank, while those who are unaffected, the non-zombies, are the monsters based on how they treat the defenseless victims.  The film was just a thought, a wondering of how much one could change the conventional genre and still have something recognizable as a zombie movie.

Anyway, the only reason I bring this up is that the first 20 or 25 seconds of the video for White Rabbits' Heavy Metal is almost exactly the visual image I had in mind for the beginning of the film.  It totally shocked me to see what was only a thought experiment of my own device suddenly made manifest, and frankly, done far better than anything that I had imagined.

And the only reason I bring all that up is that this evening, Brooklyn's White Rabbits are playing Variety Playhouse, a great venue for live music.  I'm fascinated by their Spoon-like sound, and have been looking forward to hearing them.



As if that weren't good enough, The War On Drugs, who put on a marathon show at The Earl last Rocktober, are also on the bill.  Someone on YouTube commented that if Mark Knopfler made a baby with Bob Dylan, and Bruce Springsteen with Win Butler, and than if those two babies would meet and make a baby of their own, you'll get The War On Drugs.  Very amusing, and I couldn't describe their sound any better.  They're so good that I would go to tonight's show anyway, even without White Rabbits on the bill.



But it just keeps getting better and better.  North Carolina's The Love Language are opening.  Not to be redundant, but I'd go out just to hear The Love Language, even without The War On Drugs and White Rabbits on the bill.  

For those wondering, last night's Fanfarlo set was incredible.  Pictures and reviews of both of these shows soon.

No comments: