Sunday, October 02, 2011

tUnE-YaRdS


The project I've undertaken of posting my photogragphs from Bumbershoot, MFNW, Music Midtown, etc. to the Live Journal site took a giant step backwards when I reached the 1 GB storage limit for free accounts, leaving me two options - delete some older pictures and free up some disk space, or purchase a Premium Account.  Since a Premium Account would only give me 2 GB of storage, which would get used up quite quickly at the rate I'm going, it didn't seem like a good investment.  But as the Live Journal site has always been more of a "proving ground" for me than a bona fide blog, I chose to delete all of the older pictures (that is, the pre-Bumbershoot pics) going back to 2006.  

That freed up a little bit of disk space, but now all of the older posts looked "wrong" with the pictures missing.  Some of the older posts were just the pictures, without any accompanying text.  I had to delete all of the posts to make the site look like something other than a disaster area, but that was more challenging than anticipated - there is no "batch option" to delete the older posts.  As far as I could tell, you had to first open each individual post, select "Edit Entry," choose "Delete Entry" from the editor module, save, and then return to the front page of the site and scroll back to the next entry and repeat the process.  To delete 5 years of entries, it would have taken me hours and hours of the most tedious work, and even then, it wouldn't have freed up any more significant disk space for the additional pictures I'm trying to post.

So I decided to start over again from scratch and deleted the entire blog instead.

I've opened a new account at Live Journal and started posting again from Day One (Bumbershoot, September 3, 2011).  I'm reducing the file size for each picture from the ridiculously large 3000 x 2000 pixel pics I was posting before down to a more manageable 500 x 350 pixels, so I should be fine with the 1 GB limit, at least  for a while now.  My plan is to continue posting the Bumbershoot pictures, followed by MFNW, then the East Atlanta Strut, and then Rocktober, including Music Midtown and all the individual concerts of the past several weeks.

I've also selected a cleaner, brighter template for the site.  I like the way it looks now, especially with the "read more" option that lets me put multiple pictures behind the cut.  I'd love to get some feedback on how it looks and feels to others (if there's anybody on Earth who actually looks at the pictures there).  The link on the blogroll over to the right leads to the new site, although the links embedded in previous texts are now dead-ends.  

Rocktober continues this week with shows by tUnE-yArDs (or is it tUnE-YaRdS?) at the Basement at Graveyard Tavern, Other Lives and Mates of States at the Drunken Unicorn, and German synthesizer legend Rodelius (of Cluster, Harmonia, and collaborations with Brian Eno) back at the Earl.  All three shows sound promising, and here's a taste of Tune-Yards (keeping it simple) in anticipation of Tuesday night.

No comments: