Thursday, September 08, 2011

The Kills


Crystal Ballroom, MFNW. Well, I got what I wished for and saw The Kills up close and personal, reminding me to be very careful about what I wish for. I was initially right up front but wisely moved back about 20 yards before the first set of the night. As it turns out, between the extreme volume, the crowd, and the mosh pit, I was glad that I had moved back. The Kills performed basically the same act that I saw, although from a much greater distance, on Sunday night, but between the Crystal Ballroom's sound system, which managed to muddy up the sound again, and the backlighting used on the stage so that the band performed mainly in silhouette most of the night, I was better able to hear and see The Kills raw, primal blues-rock last Sunday at Bumbershoot from the rooftop of the Fisher Pavilion than I was this evening from 20 yards away at the Crystal Ballroom. By the way, it was a particularly warm day in Portland today, and the Crystal Ballroom has neither AC, ceiling fans, nor any kind of ventilation that I could detect, and it got HOT in there. Still, it was good to see The Kills, even if I had just seen them, and seen them better, only three nights ago.

2 comments:

Another Diamond Day said...

Lucky!!! :-)

Shokai said...

The thing about luck is it's often so hard to tell when it's good or when it's bad. But I do seem to be getting my way, though.