Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Jump Day


Well, that's that for Bumbershoot. As anticipated, it was a lot of fun, the music was terrific, and the weather outstanding - I didn't see a cloud in the sky since Friday afternoon, and the summery temperatures were in the 80s (but without Georgia's humidity). Before I go back home to Atlanta, though, I'm off to yet another music festival in Portland.

When I was booking my tickets for Bumbershoot all those months ago, I looked around for something else to do up while up in the Pacific Northwest. I checked the schedules for Portland's Dharma Rain Zen Center and the Oregon Zen Center to see if they had any retreats or sesshins scheduled, but neither one had any offerings that matched up with my travel plans.

And then I saw that Music Fest Northwest (fka North By Northwest) in Portland was scheduled to occur the week after Labor Day. That sounded ideal - another in-town festival, and in a town that I know my way around pretty well by now.  Once again, I can stay in the comforts of a hotel, take things at my own pace, and not have to camp out among 50,000 young "things."  (Update: According to the Seattle Times, average daily attendance at Bumbershoot was 35,000 "things").

So today, after getting to take another ride on Seattle's monorail, I'm on a Portland-bound Amtrak train (I'm doing this whole trip without a car) to attend MFNW.

No comments: