Friday, January 07, 2011

Friday Night Videos


Oh, look. Our old friends Sherlock's Daughter were captured in a Masters From Their Day session, and they posted a video of the session on their blog. Filter Magazine also polled singer Tonya Horo's list of Top 10 albums for 2010, and her list naturally included our old friends Deerhunter.

Old friends . . . on a different note, 2010 unfortunately saw the passing of many talented musicians (Vic Chestnut, Sparklehorse, Teddy Pendergrass, and more), but few will be missed as much as the redoubtable Captain Beefheart. Here's a video I swiped from Philadelphia's WXPN of the Captain performing on Dick Clark's American Bandstand.

I honestly don't know what's more bizarre - Beefheart's dadaist take on the blues, or the fashions of mid-60s teenagers. This clip is truly amazing - it reminds us that John Waters was not exaggerating with Hairspray. Although it looks to me like it's from another planet, I have to remind myself that not only was I alive then, I very well may have been dancing in front of the television set when this aired. Were we ever really that young? That innocent? That naive?

No comments: