Thursday, May 13, 2010

Priorities

It might sound from recent posts that I've been going to a lot of concerts this year, but the truth of the matter is, well, I have. Muse, Meyer Hawthorne, Xiu Xiu, Spoon, the xx, Phoenix, Owen Pallett, and more. But there have been so many great shows to go to this year, and I've only sampled a relatively small percentage.

This evening, though, Atlanta's hosting a virtual embarrassment of riches. Almost right around the block from me, Brooklyn's Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings are playing at Center Stage, the main venue at the CW Midtown music complex, with either LA's Fitz & the Tantrums or "Blinky Griptite & the Mellomatics"opening, depending on whether you believe the venue's website or the print ads. I'm not sure if "Blinky Griptite & the Mellomatics" isn't someone's too-clever euphemism for "Fitz & the Tantrums" or not, but in any event, a Google search reveals that a band of that name has been touring with Sharon Jones this year.

This should be a great show, a bona fide rhythm & blues revivalist in the tradition of Aretha and Tina Turner, with a great blue-eyed soul opener somewhat similar to Detroit's Meyer Hawthorne. I saw Hawthorne this year at The Loft, the CW Midtown venue right up above Center Stage, and this very evening, on the same night that Sharon Jones and, well, somebody, are playing downstairs, Chicago's OK Go and Earl Greyhound are playing upstairs at The Loft. So that's two great shows, both on a Thursday night of all nights, at the same location.

But wait, there's more. Further downtown, in Little Five Points, singer-songwriter Josh Ritter is performing tonight at Variety Playhouse. Idaho's Ritter is probably at a creative peak right now, and Variety Playhouse is a perfect venue to showcase his talent.

And as if all of that wasn't enough to choose from, the greatest draw of all to me is probably Ontario's Caribou and South Carolina's Toro Y Moi at The Earl. The Earl is the bar in East Atlanta where I saw Owen Pallett a few weeks ago, and Caribou's new album Swim has been at the top of my new iPod's playlist since I bought it.

So, with all of this to see and hear, which did I choose tonight? Well, the Caribou concert is sold out, and next weekend I'll be seeing another Josh (Josh Rouse) at Variety Playhouse, so I'll pass on Josh Ritter for right now. So that narrows it down to the CW Midtown complex and either Sharon Jones downstairs at Center Stage or OK Go upstairs at The Loft.

So which did I choose? None of the above. Tonight is Game 6 of the Celtics-Cavaliers playoff series, with the Celtics up 3-2 and going for the series win on their home court.

You gotta have your priorities.

No comments: