Wednesday, March 21, 2007


Something is wrong with my azaleas. In my neighborhood, the azaleas start blooming in mid-March and the blossoms hang on until about the end of April. But mine only last about a week. The good part, though, is this is that week. I woke this morning and took my time over breakfast (I didn't need to be anywhere until 10 am), sipping my coffee and admiring the bloom on the bushes.

Every day's a great day, but today, the weather was near perfect - 72 degrees and dry. And the best part, aside from the azaleas, was that I got out of the office all day.

I met with a surveyor at 10:00 am at a project site northeast of Atlanta, and helped him find some monitoring wells we had installed there, and then I got to be the rod man as we did the actual field surveying. You know those guys you sometimes see on the side of the road holding a rod and looking bored as traffic whizzes by? That was me this morning, but I wasn't bored (I was too happy to be outside).

Then I drove back to Atlanta all the way downtown to the state environmental agency's offices to review their files of other sites near a new client's property in Savannah to see if there were any records of water wells in the vicinity. While I was there, I visited a long-time friend who works in the Brownfields office.

Then it was back to the house to work from the home office for a while, answering email and such. And then an impromptu telephone conference call.

And what's a day in my life without a Beltline meeting? The citizen's advisory board met in the late afternoon, and we approved our bylaws (finally), elected officers (not me), and formed subcommittees (I'm on three).

And while I was driving from the house to the survey site, and from the survey site to the state offices, and from there back to the house, and then to the Beltline meeting and home again, I had the windows open and I was grooving on the sunshine.

No comments: